Thursday, January 18, 2007

It's Raining and it's Cold

Now, that title sounds a bit whiney but it is not meant to be. Our weather here is not bad compared to other places and I really do not want to complain. We were supposed to have ice, so rain is a good thing.
Thanks to those who have already responded and commented on my blog. Garsh, I didn't realize that there were so many neat people out there that cared about a stranger! Thanks folks, you have made my day.
As I have stated, this is about the millionth time I have started and stopped a diet. My life has always been a battle with weight. I remember being on some type of diet when I was about 8 and diet pills were all the rage. Thankfully, my mom decided that controlling food was better than medicating me, but it didn't work. It was just controlling and it made me sneak eat. You know, hiding what I was eating from my folks, maybe waiting until I got to school to eat something sinful in the cafeteria ( Oh, those cinnamon rolls! I can still taste them). I bounced up and down with my weight and always felt like the "fat girlfriend" to all my skinny friends. You know, the one who couldn't wear all the cool clothes but hey, I didn't care, right?! I provided comic relief.
Back in the late 70's, I graduated from college and decided that what I wanted to do was get out of Michigan and see the world. How could I do that, you ask? Well, my crazy brain said "join the military!" So, I decided to join the Marine Corps! Yup, the Marine Corps. Of course, they didn't want an overweight (by about 75 pounds) college graduate, so I went back to Weight Watchers. 75 and 1/2 pounds later, I was in! And the real fight began. The Marine Corps will stay on you about your weight every day. And, in Officer's Candidate School ( the equivalent to boot camp) I was weighed pretty much every day! Horrors!!! But, I did okay. To make a long story longer, I survived enough to make it through 3 years. Although I loved the Corps ( and still do) I couldn't take the constant focus on my weight. I married me a Marine though, and as the story goes, "lived happily ever after". More on this journey in later issues. Thanks for staying with me during this journey.

No comments: